Up till an hour ago it was a nice sunny day. I was out working on the new/old trailer and all was well. I started working on the red beast this afternoon with the objective to at least get the lights on and the front corner brackets mounted.
Step one was to lay out a tarp and drag the trailer over it. This was to minimise the amount of ants that I would have crawling over me when I was working under the new/old trailer. That done the next task was to get rid of the old broken wiring.
I got down on hands and knees then flipped onto my back and went under the trailer. Two things imminently stood out, the first was that the guy who built the trailer had used the same paint in the underside that he used everywhere else. The second this was the fact that when the guy who made the trailer installed the wiring he used a lot of duct tape to secure it to the frame. Once the duct tape was on of course the builder painted it.
|Everything is red and flaking and spiders and ants down here|
It took a bit but after a while I had the wire off and it was time to fit the new lights. Of course there was a fitting issue because the lights tended to hang low enough to obscure the license plate. So I had to remove the new lights and reinstall them a little higher. I did the wire connections with the lighting kits supplied connectors. Now the next thing I'm going to be doing in the morning is to re connect the wiring because just as I was cleaning up one of the wires came loose. I will solder the connections and seal them with heat shrink the way I should have done them in the first place.
|Lights are on but not tested... yet.|
The two long L brackets went on OK and I'm happy with them. Tomorrow or Friday I'm going to test the lighting and work the kinks out. On Monday I'll pay a visit to the lumber yard and pick up a sheet of half inch ply wood. When I have that I'll rip it for the sides and front of the new/old trailer. As for the tail gate I'm planning on reusing the old one.
Well that's about enough from me for now, bye-bye.