Life has returned to normal around here. The day after we returned home, my wife and I went and picked up our kitty from S who had been looking after her. I was in favor of holding off until Saturday but my wife was going through kitty withdraw. OK, fine, I'll admit it, I was going through a little kitty withdrawal too. Anyway... That evening we took S out for dinner to a nice little Italian place in town. Then we dropped by her place after dinner and picked up Puttie Tat.
Then next day I started on the winter preps with a vengeance because the clock was ticking. The last lawn mow didn't happen because the starter on the old lawn tractor went south. I'll fix it in the spring, it's gotten to damn cold to be working on starters in the drive way.
I did manage to get all the other little jobs done. The snowblower is all ready to go, batteries in the smoke detectors were swapped out, the interior storms are up and the exterior screens are down.
I got the winter tires on the truck put on and an alignment done. That was another fun day. While I was at the shop the service guy calmly dropped the ball joint bomb on me. The front driver's side ball joint was toast. I had budgeted the money for the alignment and tire swap but this smacked me from right out of the blue. Smiling on the outside and grimacing on the inside, I gave the OK for the work. It was a good thing too because a few days later we had the first snow storm of the season.
One big job I was happy to get finished was deploying the humungus sized tarp along the side of the house. My wife wants a flower garden and path next year so using the tarp is the first step in killing the vegetation in that area. I've got to sat that because of the size (30'X50") I should have held off until my wife was around but I didn't want her to hurt her back any more than it was. Oh, and yes there was a little cussing that took place during the operation.
After the killer cold and snow I had the opportunity to do a little areal work over at S's place. S worries about leaf build up effecting the water drainage so being the gallant guy I am I promised to get rid of as many leafs as I could. It's not like S couldn't do the job but she has a history of bad luck with heights.
|Using a roof rake to pull off the leafs|
|Chivalry only goes so far, |
I left this for S to deal with
The first attempt ended early because of the cold. The water on the roof had frozen up nicely and short of getting up there with a big ice scraper/pick and risk damaging the roof, it wasn't going to happen. I let it sit for a few days and after the temperature returned to something resembling normal I was back at it. I didn't get all of it but I did put a serious dent into the leaf population.
|Yes we had a little cold|
There were other minutiae that happened since we got home but they really aren't worth the time to write about. So that's about it from me for now. It's Friday and I'm taking the weekend off so this is it until Monday. Bye-bye...